DENVER – We may not realize that some families with children struggle with hunger over the summer because children are not in school. Schools offer free and reduced cost lunches during the school-year.
This is why we hold our annual 9Cares Summer Food Drive. This year it was held on Saturday, June 14 in the 9NEWS parking lot at 500 Speer Blvd. and other locations listed below.
The numbers are still being crunched, but we've already surpassed the amount of money and donations raised during last year's 9cares Colorado Shares summer drive.
Across the 25 locations more than 60,000 pounds of food and toiletries were collected. Just about $40,000 was donated.
If you didn't make it out today you can still help by purchasing a box at King Soopers for $5 or $10.
The money will support more than 100 Denver metro area food banks.
9NEWS anchors and reporters were on hand to help collect items.
9NEWS provides the donations of food and toiletries to more than 100 food banks in metro Denver and along the Front Range from Fort Collins to Castle Rock. Food Bank of the Rockies coordinates the food distribution.
Clothing and other household items will be donated to Goodwill. Profits from the sale of these items help individuals with workforce development skills, and other services.
What kinds of food are needed?
Any non-perishable food is appreciated; however, food banks prefer foods high in protein. Those include peanut butter, tuna fish, and dry beans. They also always need soups and stews, Mac and Cheese, hot cereals, oatmeal, canned fruit and vegetables, and baby formula with iron. Food banks also need toiletry items such as diapers, shampoo, condition, soap, toothpaste and toothbrushes.
Other locations also collected items on June 14:
- Brighton: King Soopers, 500 E. Bromley Lane
- Buena Vista: City Market, 438 US HWY 24 S.
- Castle Pines: King Soopers, 7284 Lagae Rd.
- Castle Rock: King Soopers, 100 N. Founders Parkway; King Soopers, 750 N. Ridge Rd.
- Commerce City: King Soopers, 15051 E 104th Ave
- Conifer: King Soopers, Aspen Park, 25637 Conifer Rd
- Evergreen: King Soopers, 1173 Bergen Parkway
- Firestone: King Soopers, 6110 Firestone Blvd.
- Fort Collins: King Soopers, 1842 North College Ave.
- Greeley: King Soopers, Market Place, 6922 W. 10th St.; King Soopers, 2712 11th Ave; King Soopers, Westlake Village, 2100 35th Ave.
- Longmont: King Soopers, 2255 Main St.; King Soopers, 1611 Pace St. #100; King Soopers, 995 S Hover St.
- Loveland: King Soopers, 253 East 29th Street
- Parker: Parker Task Force, 20118 E. Main St.; King Soopers, 12959 S. Parker Road; King Soopers, 17031 Lincoln Avenue
- Windsor: King Soopers, 1520 Main Street
(KUSA-TV © 2014 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)