A man shot and killed by police Wednesday inside the University of Colorado’s athletic center has been tentatively identified as a recently discharged Marine in his early 20s, 9Wants To Know has learned.

The man was armed with a sword-like knife – not a machete, as originally reported – a source familiar with the investigation confirmed to 9NEWS.

Two police officers shot and killed him after a confrontation in a stairwell in the Champions Center on the northeast corner of Folsom Field.

No one else was injured in the incident.

The identities of the man and the officers have not been released. One of the officers was from the campus force, the other from the Boulder Police Department, 9Wants to Know has learned.

Investigators were trying to determine Wednesday evening whether the man was a student or had any other affiliation with the campus.

The trouble started in a parking lot outside the Champions Center shortly after 9 a.m. A woman was sitting in her car when the man walked up and scrawled references to the Ten Commandments on one of the vehicle’s windows, the source confirmed to 9Wants To Know.

The man then entered the building and threatened people with the sword-like weapon. One person he confronted was able to turn and run without being injured.

Both university and Boulder police officers arrived and began a systematic search of the building. They encountered the man in a stairwell, and according to police officials officers opened fire after the man ignored commands to drop the weapon.

CU students and staff received a notification saying they should avoid the Champions Center and take safety precautions during the situation.

They were also asked to contact their parents to tell them they are safe.

The all-clear was issued at around 9:40 a.m.

Business on campus continued largely as usual, but the Champions Center was closed for the day.

The Champions Center houses the football team's locker room and other administrative offices.

Later in the day, conflicting reports that a shooter could be on campus led to the evacuation of the University Memorial Center.

University officials ultimately termed that report a “hoax.”

Contact 9NEWS reporter Kevin Vaughan with tips about this or any story: kevin.vaughan@9news.com or 303-871-1862.