Police took a wanted suspect into custody late Tuesday night, following an hours-long standoff. A baby, who was in the home at the time, is safe, according to Aurora Police.

The man was wanted for firing a gun at Denver Police, according Aurora PD. They later confirmed it was the suspect from a traffic stop near Stuart and Alameda on Saturday.

STORY | Officer, suspect exchange gunfire after traffic stop in Denver: Police

Denver officers shot the suspect during that incident, according to Aurora Police Chief Nick Metz, who briefed reporters after the standoff in his city ended late Tuesday night.

Following Saturday’s exchange of gunfire with DPD, in which no officers were hurt, the suspect fled into Aurora with a gunshot wound. Over the next few days, Metz said, law enforcement agencies tried to locate the man.

They received information that the man was holed up in an Aurora apartment building as of 3:30pm Tuesday. For about six hours, police from Aurora, Denver and several other agencies surrounded an apartment near 19th Ave. and Chester St.

Area where police are trying to arrest a wanted man.

They evacuated 25-to-30 people from apartment building and surrounding area, Metz said.

They tried but failed to make contact with the suspect, but heard in the process that two children were inside, including an 11-year-old girl and a one-year old girl.

The 11-year-old was able to get out safely and confirmed to officers that the one-year-old was still inside with the suspect.

After several hours of trying to get suspect to come out, including by talking to him via megaphone, officers went into the apartment and found the suspect and the child. The man was cooperative and was taken into custody.

Metz said the one-year-old girl is safe and being returned to her family, though he would not confirm what connection the man has to either of the children, if any. Metz also would not say if suspect knew anyone in the apartment building.

It’s unclear if he was armed during the standoff, but officers were able to retrieve a rifle from the residence before capturing him, so he had access to guns, Metz said.

The man’s name has not been released.