After a 40-year absence, a 2,500-pound piece of Larimer County history has come home.
The recently remodeled lobby of the Larimer County Treasurer’s Office in the county courthouse office building, 200 W. Oak St., includes a safe that dates to the original county courthouse in downtown Fort Collins built in 1887.
The silver-painted safe has thick double doors and an intricate mechanical time lock more commonly found in walk-in bank vaults. Swinging the doors open and shut takes some effort.
It stands along a wall featuring historic photographs reproduced and framed by John Clarke, a longtime Fort Collins resident and former county commissioner. “Treasurer’s Office — Larimer County” is hand-painted above the outside vault door.
Read more at the Coloradoan: http://noconow.co/2pAI1Bx