There were no pick sixes or bone-rattling hits. Still it’s been a productive week for the Broncos’ secondary.
Star cornerback Aqib Talib learned he would not be disciplined by the league for his gun-shooting incident last summer. And, as a high-level team source told 9NEWS on Monday, the Broncos are expected to exercise the $8.526 million option on No. 3 corner Bradley Roby for the 2018 season.
On Wednesday, as the New England Patriots and not the Broncos were visiting the White House, safeties Darian Stewart and T.J. Ward let area football fans know they are more determined than ever.
“It’s the exact opposite,’’ Ward said in comparing this offseason to last year’s, which included a June trip to Barack Obama’s White House. “In the dungeon, grinding. As soon as the Super Bowl was over, I started working out and trying to make this season a lot better than last year because not going to the playoffs, it hurt after going winning the Super Bowl.
“I know everybody on this team came back ready for that not to happen again. I can just see it guys’ demeanor, the way they are working and their attitudes. It kind of reminds me of those Super Bowl seasons.”
The best player in the Broncos secondary is Talib (although Chris Harris Jr. is a close second). He will not be suspended for what Dallas police concluded was a self-inflicted incident in June 2016.
“You can’t replace Talib,’’ Stewart said. “He’s a helluva player. All Pro player year in and year out.’’
The Broncos secondary – known as the No Fly Zone – was No. 1 against the pass last year, No. 3 in 2015, when they won Super Bowl 50.
“We all came back with fresh minds, ready to work,’’ Stewart said. “A lot of us were disappointed last year with not getting to the playoffs. That’s our mindset every year, just championships. Playoffs are expected from this group, and just missing that last year hurt. We’re just ready to get back there. It was a start having all of us here day one.”