No deficit, no opponent and no championship drought was going to stop Peetz on Saturday afternoon.

Down 14 in the 3rd quarter, the Peetz Bulldogs rallied to beat previously unbeaten Stratton/Liberty and win the 6-man football state championship, 38-28.

It's the program's first state title since 2002.

No. 1 seeded Stratton/Liberty came into the game 11-0 on the year, and the Knighted Eagles looked like they were well on their way to capping off a perfect season with a gold trophy.

No. 3 Peetz was trailing by two scores on two different occasions, and the deficit could have been more.

Thankfully, a crucial interception and fumble recovery from linebacker Helmuth Wenneker deep inside Bulldogs territory prevented further damage, as the Knighted Eagles were threatening to blow the game wide open in the first half.

All Peetz needed was a chance, and its offense capitalized with 32 points in the final two quarters. '

The rally started with the Bulldogs down 20-6, when quarterback Tre Fehringer connected with Logan Circy from about 20 yards out for a touchdown to make it just a one-score game.

Peetz added two points on a safety, and then got the ball back in the fourth quarter with a chance to take its first lead of the game.

The Bulldogs did just that when running back Hunter White found a hole and found the end zone from 10 yards out to sent the visiting crowd into a frenzy.

All of a sudden, Peetz was up 24-20.

But, Stratton/Liberty didn't get to a perfect 11-0 by accident. Just like he had done all game, senior Phillip Pickard barreled his way through the Peetz defense for a monster touchdown run to put the Knighted Eagles back out in front 28-24, with just over six minutes left to play.

The quick response didn't faze the Bulldogs though, as they put together a nice drive to get inside the Stratton/Liberty red zone.

However, the drive briefly stalled, as it came down to a 4th down decision for coach Scott Sorenson.

His team lined up for what would have been a game-tying field goal, but instead was just a disguise for some trickery.

Fehringer caught the snap, and instead of holding for a kick, stood up and threw what would be the game-winning touchdown pass to Sircy.

Bryson Long tacked on another score shortly thereafter to put Peetz up 10, setting up a celebration that the Peetz football team hasn't seen in 15 years.