Rod Mackey and Drew Soicher won first and second place awards, respectively, in the Sports Anchor category. 9NEWS.com won its second consecutive award for Best Website while entertainment reporter Kirk Montgomery won the award for his public service announcement, "It Gets Better," also for the second year in a row.
9NEWS Vice President and News Director Patti Dennis said, "9NEWS is driven to compete by providing unmatched journalism to our community across our broadcast, web and mobile platforms. The explosive growth we have had the last year on the digital side demonstrates that there will always be a large and enthusiastic audience for quality journalism no matter the size of the screen. To win 13 years in a row is a real testament to the quality, adaptability and durability of the 9NEWS brand."
The CBA further honored 9NEWS solo journalist Dave Delozier with the Rex Howell Broadcaster of the Year Award. Delozier started his distinguished career at 9NEWS in 1979. In 1987, he earned the National Press Photographers Association National Photographer of the Year award. He additionally won the 2009 NPPA inaugural award as National Solo Video Journalist. Delozier has nearly 30 Heartland Emmy awards, and many more awards from the NPPA, CBA, RTDNA and more.
9NEWS President and General Manager Mark Cornetta said "The care and sensitivity Dave Delozier brings to his stories, coupled with his gifts both for photojournalism and writing make him an ideal recipient for this much-deserved award. We are extremely fortunate at 9NEWS to have had the benefit of his skill and friendship for more than 30 years."
A complete list of 9NEWS winners appears below.
- Best Public Service Announcement: 1st place - "It Gets Better" Kirk Montgomery, Robert Springer, Andy Schaeffer
- Best Community Service Project or Campaign: 1st - "9Health" Dr. John Torres, Drew Sidener, Andy Schaeffer, Chad Maurer; 2nd - "9Cares Colorado Shares" Lynne Valencia, Alycia Gleave, 9NEWS Staff
- Best Single Public Affairs Program: 1st - "The Life of a Teacher" Nelson Garcia, Byron Reed
- Best Promotional Campaign for a Station: 2nd - "Old Drew" Drew Soicher, Andy Schaeffer, Steve Carter
- Best Single Commercial for a Station: 1st - "Gotcha Covered" Tommy Collier, Andy Schaeffer, Kathy Sabine, Chad Maurer
- Best Documentary Outside of a Regularly Scheduled Newscast: 2nd - "Matt & Tracy Keil: An American Story" Chris Vanderveen, Corky Scholl
- Best Television Sales Promotion for an Advertiser: 2nd - "Bicycle Colorado" 9NEWS Sales Staff
- Best News Feature: 2nd - "The Captain's Truck" Dave Delozier
- Best Breaking News Coverage Under Deadline Pressure: 1st - "Dad, I Rolled My Car... Again!" Will Ripley, Kevin Sullivan; 2nd - "Crazy Grass Fire" 9NEWS Staff
- Best Photo Essay with No Reporter Narrative: 1st - "The Sparkles" Brett Alles; 2nd - "Don't Close Our Post Office" Brian Willie
- Best Regularly Scheduled Full Newscast: 2nd - "9NEWS at 10" 9NEWS Staff
- Best News Anchor or Team: 1st - Kyle Clark; 2nd - Adele Arakawa
- Best Sportscaster: 1st - Rod Mackey; 2nd - Drew Soicher
- Best Website: 1st - "9NEWS.com" 9NEWS Staff
(KUSA-TV © 2012 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)