DENVER - The National Press Photographers Association recognized 9NEWS reporter Chris Vanderveen for his special gift for storytelling by unanimously naming him the 2012 winner of the NPPA Photojournalism Award for Reporting. The judges' choice for photojournalism station of the year was one of the closest in recent years as 9NEWS fell short in its run at the title by points awarded in a tiebreaker to decide the winner. A win would have increased the previous record of 11 Station of the Year titles held by 9NEWS.
The judges were effusive in their praise for Vanderveen's winning entry, describing his style as "sensitive" and "overwhelming" as Vanderveen "worked hard as a team with his partners to tell each (story) in a caring way, not overpower the energy of the story itself. The writing worked in tandem with the moments and never stole the show."
9NEWS President and General Manager Mark Cornetta said, "I am very proud of our team of editors and photojournalists. Day in and day out, they tell amazing stories about the people and happenings in our community and do so with integrity and class. These awards demonstrate to everyone what we long have known: we have a very special group of people here at 9NEWS."
Corky Scholl, 9NEWS photojournalist and a former NPPA Photographer of the Year, won first place in the documentary category for his work with Vanderveen on the story of wounded Iraq war veteran, Matt Keil, in a piece called "An American Story."
Former 9NEWS photojournalist Anne Herbst was the Runner Up in the Ernie Crisp Television News Photographer of the Year competition while 9NEWS photojournalist Kevin Sullivan was one of four other finalists for the title. Herbst additionally won first place awards in the In Depth and Deadline Photography categories.
9NEWS received 32 honors in the NPPA contest which received more than 730 entries from television stations all across the USA. A full list of 9NEWS winners and honorees is below.
• Large Market Television News Photography Station of the Year - Runner Up, 9NEWS
• Ernie Crisp Television News Photographer of the Year - Runner Up, Anne Herbst "Anne Herbst Compilation"; Finalist, Kevin Sullivan
• Photojournalism Award for Reporting - 1st Place, Chris Vanderveen "Vanderveen Composite"
• Television News Photography Documentary - 1st Place, Corky Scholl "An American Story"
• In Depth Photography - 1st Place, Anne Herbst "Adde and Sean"; Finalist, Byron Reed " History Maker"; Finalist, Kevin Sullivan "Perfectly Good Stuff"; Finalist, Corky Scholl "The Border"
• Deadline Photography - 1st Place, Anne Herbst "Adde Meets Sean"; Finalist, Kevin Torres "Crested Butte Horse Rescue"; Finalist, Kevin Sullivan "Train X"
• General News Photography - 2nd place, Anne Herbst "Coming Home"; Finalist, Kevin Sullivan "A Special Prom"; Finalist, Byron Reed "Welcome Home"; Finalist, Kevin Sullivan "Yes, We Can!"
• Sports Feature Photography - 3rd Place, Ken Mostek "The Beast"
• News Feature Photography - Honorable Mention, Corky Scholl "A Little Faith"; Finalist, Kevin Sullivan "Chalk Art"
• Solo Video Journalist - Finalist, Kevin Torres "Delaney's Dying Wish"; Finalist, Kevin Torres "Operation Rebound"
• 48 Hour Feature - Finalist, Byron Reed "Artist Fire"
• Judges' Choice - Kevin Sullivan "Kevin POY"
• Spot News - Honorable Mention, Corky Scholl "A Peaceful Day for a Riot"; Finalist, Kevin Torres "Indian Gulch Fire"; Finalist, Kevin Sullivan "Loveland Chase"
• News/Video Editing Feature - 2nd place, Anne Herbst "Adde and Sean"; 3rd place, Corky Scholl "Life's Intersections"
• News/Video Editing Photo Essay - 2nd Place, Corky Scholl "The Border"; Finalist, Kevin Sullivan "Romantic Skate Rink"
• News/Video Editing General News/Simple Effects - 3rd Place, Anne Herbst "Coming Home"; Finalist, Kevin Sullivan "Something in the Air"; Finalist, Byron Reed "Welcome Home"; Finalist, Kevin Sullivan "Yes, We Can!"
• News/Video Editing Sports - Finalist, Kevin Sullivan "Tebow Hotline"
(KUSA-TV © 2012 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)