FIX THIS - Who doesn’t like a delicious treat that you can also turn into a festive holiday appetizer? I’ve got 2 versions of these Halloween jalapeño poppers to share with you!
So let’s start with what you need:
- 10 jalapeños
- 1 scallion (diced)
- 2 garlic cloves (diced)
- 1 cup colby jack cheese
- 8 ounces of cream cheese
- candy eyes
- crescent roll dough
- red food dye
1. Color the candy eye balls. This is for our spicy jalapeño poppers. Place about 20 eyes into a small bowl, then add a couple of drops of red food coloring. Mix them together, then place them on a piece of wax paper to dry.
2. Chop the peppers. Slice each pepper in half length wise, then scrape out the seeds and membrane. However, if you want the peppers to be spicy, leave as much of the white membrane as you can! Since I’m making both spicy and mild jalapeño poppers, I’m going to do both.
An inside tip… Use a melon-baller as a fast and easy way to scrape out the insides of jalapeños.
Also, if you’ve never cut up jalapeño peppers before, there’s a couple of things you should know. If you don’t use rubber gloves, or you are not super vigilant about the part of the jalapeño you’re touching, let’s just say that “I just set my mouth on fire” feeling you have after eating one, will be on your hands… and anything else you touch before washing your hands. So, wear gloves, or be super vigilant and thoroughly wash your hands before touching anything else while working with jalapeños.
3. Mix together the filling. To make the mild, combine the cream cheese, colby-jack, scallion and garlic in your stand mixer. Want it hot? Have some extra membrane left over? Put that in there too. Mix it until well combined.
4. Fill each jalapeño half with filling.
5. Wrap these up mummy style! Take your crescent roll dough, pinch together the diagonal seams and cut 5 strips with a pizza cutter.
6. Use one strip to wrap around each jalapeño popper, leaving room for the eyes.
7. Cover your baking sheet with parchment paper so the poppers don’t stick to the pan as they cook.
8. When you’re done wrapping, place the jalapeño poppers in a 400 degree oven for 10 minutes.
9. Once they’re done, take them out and add the eyes!
Enjoy and happy Halloween!!
Copyright 2016 KUSA