Sweet corn is low in fat, sodium-free and is a good source of Vitamin C.
Did you know?
Each month the Colorado Department of Agriculture features a different commodity to highlight the variety and quality of products grown in the state.
- The average ear of corn has 800 kernels, arranged in 16 rows.
- There is one piece of silk for each kernel.
Colorado Corn and Bacon Salsa
Chef Jason K. Morse, C.E.C., Executive Chef, Douglas County School District
- 5 ears Sweet Corn
- 4 Tbsp. Butter, melted
- Kosher or Sea Salt to taste
- Ground Black Pepper to taste
- 1 Red Onion
- 3 Fresno Peppers or Red Jalapenos
- 12 Pieces Thick Bacon
- 1 Tbsp. Garlic, puree
- 1/2 Cup Pinto Beans, rinsed
- 1/2 Cup Black Beans, rinsed
- 1 Cup Tomato Sauce
- 2 Tsp. Cumin
- 1 Tsp. Dark Chili Powder
- Lime Juice to taste
- 4 Tbsp. Cilantro, chopped, no stems
- Peel the husk back on the corn, do not tear off, and remove the silk.
- Brush each ear of corn with melted butter and season with the salt and pepper.
- Replace the husk on the corn.
- On medium heat on outdoor grill, grill the corn with the husk on until tender.
- Remove the husk and continue grilling until the corn starts to show grill marks, then remove from the heat and allow to cool.
- Cook the Fresno peppers on the grill until well roasted, remove, cool and dice.
- Split the red onion in half, brush with butter and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill both halves of the red onion until well cooked then remove, cool and dice.
- Cook the bacon in a skillet until fully cooked then remove, cool and chop.
- Once the corn is cooled, trim the niblets from the ear and place into a large bowl.
- Add the remaining ingredients, except the bacon, lime juice and cilantro.
- Mix well and season to taste then add the lime juice and cilantro and mix well.
- Add the bacon and mix.
- Taste and adjust seasoning as needed.
This recipe goes great with grilled flour tortillas, white corn tortillas chips or as a side for any grilled meat.
Visit www.coloradoagriculture.com for a complete list of recipes.
(KUSA-TV © 2012 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)