DENVER, CO - Turmeric is a powerful superfood in the form of a small root (Curcuma longa) that has been used medicinally around the world for thousands of years. With origins in India, Turmeric root and powdered spice has been featured in Asian cuisine, cosmetics, and medicine and recognized for it’s bright yellow pigment (be aware, it will stain cutting boards and clothing). As medicine it is probably most widely used as an anti-inflammatory agent. It is also used as a digestive aid and recent studies have demonstrated turmeric’s activity against developing cancers (in particular, cancers of the skin, breast, stomach, and oral cavity). Recent research is looking at Turmeric as a possibly preventive agent in the development of Alzheimer’s disease.
If you are looking for ways to add Turmeric to your daily life, here are 6 ways you can do that:
1. Add a ½ teaspoon of ground turmeric powder to your smoothie.
2. Turmeric Elixir: Add to 1 cup hot water: juice from ½ lemon, ¼ teaspoon turmeric powder (or you can use fresh root simmered in the hot water), ¼ teaspoon coconut oil, ¼ teaspoon raw honey, dash of black pepper.
3. Add 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder and 1 teaspoon of coconut oil and a pinch of salt to the water when you are cooking rice. Stir to combine well.
4. Add turmeric to veggie soups and stews – add about 1 teaspoon per 4 cups liquid and/or combine with 1-teaspoon curry powder plus 1-teaspoon turmeric powder.
5. Add the fresh chopped turmeric root to stir-fries.
6. Add 1/8 to ¼ teaspoon of turmeric powder and a pinch of black pepper to scrambled eggs and vegetables.
Copyright 2016 KUSA