At 6pm what is easier, opening a bag a chips or washing a bunch of kale? Is it more convenient to lead or follow? To grow, create, expand and become extraordinary in our livingness requires that we challenge the default button, blow away the malaise of mediocrity, and choose instead, to PUSH the 'NOT EASY' button and wage an all out campaign for greatness!
Our brains are programmed to seek ease and to make living, thinking and doing more efficient. Roughly 95% of our daily living behaviors are habitual. It is easy to see how we can fall into a rut and lose our mission and vision for growing, creating and expressing a powerful living groove. In the quest to conserve energy, our brains go about their business to make every routine a "no need to think about it" habit as quickly as possible. It may be time to compassionately, yet courageously wake up and look at your daily habits and study the outcomes they are teaching and giving you.
Our morning routine can truly set the tone for the day and quite possibly set the tone for our lives. If you program your morning mindset according to mainstream media, be clear that you are potentially setting up a day of bad news. Anxiety, depression, over-consumption of empty calories and all out defensiveness are likely to be your experience du jour. Don't like the way that looks or sounds? You have the power to tune into the media of morning mindfulness and create a new paradigm of infinite possibility.
Here are some ways to train your brain into creating what I call my HIGH 5 effective habits. I have adopted a morning habit of 5 rituals that I lovingly refer to as my HIGH 5:
1) Wake up at 5 am (early morning risers are more productive, happy, have less insomnia and are more successful).
2) Meditate, visualize, affirm and set goals/intentions for the day until around 5:30 am (each of these practices will expand your brain, lower stress and make your more brilliant in every way).
3) Move with zeal and gratitude (morning movement will increase brain-derived neurotropic factor [BDNF] -'Miracle Gro' for your brain, and increase dopamine, which will increase your confidence and motivation).
4) Eat lean proteins and veggies for breakfast. Breakfast eaters crush every marker for health from weight management to lower risk for diabetes and heart disease.
5) PDK (perform a Public Display of Kindness before 9am; improves immune function for you and all who watch).
Make lights out living your habit for life!