Real-life Weekend at Bernie's suspect speaks out

9:47 PM, Oct 6, 2011   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Suspect Robert Young, 43, spoke just a day after the other suspect Mark Rubinson, 25, told 9NEWS that he thought the dead friend of theirs was just drunk.

"I didn't want to believe that [Jeffrey Jarrett was dead] in my head," Young told 9NEWS. "I mean, I just didn't want to believe it in my head... In my mind, mentally, it was very hard for me to accept... Mentally, I was so blown away with grief."

According to Young, this entire ordeal was "blown out of proportion." Young claims he and Jarrett were good friends, even co-workers.

At the Boulder County Jail, Rubinson said me he didn't knowingly break the law.

"When I was driving around, Young was in the back holding his hands on Jeff's and said he was responding to him by grasping it," Rubinson said. The friend in the back of the car was 43-year-old Jarrett.

"No, it wasn't my car," Young claims. "I wasn't driving. I was in a state of panic. And I called a few friends. Actually [Rubinson] was the one that came over. And it was his vehicle, and emotionally, I just didn't know how to handle the situation."

Court records say Rubinson told police he was not responding the night of Aug. 27 when he and Young carried him from his house to their car and then went bar hopping.

"[Rubinson] decided to come over, and he says, 'Well, let's take him with us.' Mentally, I wasn't in the right frame of mind. It was a bad move. I could admit that. Honestly, let that speak for itself. Again, I feel bad for the family," Young said.

Wednesday, Rubinson said Jarrett was responding when they picked him up and they intended to take him to a hospital.

He blames Young and says Young told him Jarrett was OK and that they should wait. He also says he wasn't aware that Young was using Jarrett's credit cards.

"As far as the theft case goes, [Jarrett] and I were actually in business together painting houses and so forth, and I had access to his card and his pin numbers. There's a history of that [of] making transactions. It's just you know, a lot of grief. I've been grieving over it. [I've] lost my job, lost my buddy, lost my place to live," Young said.

At the end of that night, police say they went to Shotgun Willie's strip club. Young denied that to 9NEWS.

"Uh, actually I believe it was Teddy T's, and at that time, I realized he had expired - to be honest with you," Young said.

Young then reported to police that his roommate might be dead.
Jarrett was dead, and both men were charged for abuse of a corpse and for identity theft.

"I'm the one that initially got the police involved. I didn't know that I was going to be arrested," Young said.

"I'm in the wrong place at the wrong time. The media's portraying me as this bad guy. It's just everything happens at once. When it rains it pours but for me it thunderstorms. I'm not that kind of guy," Rubinson said.

Rubinson says he missed his court appearance because someone stole his car and he had no way to get there.

He and Young are not charged in Jarrett's death. The coroner is still waiting on the results of toxicology tests.

"For the most part, it's just a very, very difficult situation for me at the time seeing somebody dead," Young said.

(KUSA-TV © 2011 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Most Watched Videos