LIVE VIDEO: 9NEWS Morning News    Watch

Boy helps save his family from fire

10:21 AM, May 16, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

Nicholas Fee was sleeping on the second floor of his family's home when he heard the smoke detectors.

"I woke my mom up and I told my mom to wake Bailey up," Nicholas said.

Bailey is his 2-year-old sister. Because of Nicholas, Kelly Fee was able to get her family out of the house safely.

"My son woke me up and said he smelled smoke and heard noises upstairs," Kelly Fee said.

Fire officials believe the fire started in a finished bedroom on the third floor, in an unoccupied apartment. Kelly was also able to alert the tenants on the first floor and they too made it out safely. Nicholas said he wants to be a firefighter when he grows up.

He learned about fire safety in school, but also knew what to do because his family had been through a fire before.

"Two years ago, we lost everything we own in a fire, so we're familiar with this and this is not an easy thing," Kelly Fee said.

The Fee family was planning to move into a new home and the belongings they packed for that move have been ruined by smoke. However, what's important is that no one was hurt.

"Very grateful. He a smart little boy," Kelly said.

There is fire damage to the third floor and water and smoke damage to the second floor. Power has been cut to the house.

"This is the second fire we've had this week that occupants got out because of smoke detectors, I can't reinforce that enough. If it wasn't for the smoke detectors, we may have been pulling bodies out when we got here," Jim Duffy, of the Wallingford Fire Department said. "Everybody is safe because of a 5-year-old kid."

The Red Cross is helping the Fee family and they will stay at the YMCA for a couple days.

(Copyright © 2012 NBC Universal, All Rights Reserved)

Most Watched Videos