At least that seems to be the thinking of people the world over who have circled the date on their calendars, to walk down the aisle, go to a Bruce Springsteen-Bon Jovi benefit concert for Superstorm Sandy victims in New York or meditate with the masses for world peace in Auckland, New Zealand.
For thousands wanting to tie the knot, it's just the beginning. Ever forget your anniversary, just the single most important day of your life?
That likely will not happen for people getting married on the memorable 12-12-12. Dozens of scenarios are unfolding across the USA to help people get to the courthouse on time:
- In Los Angeles, the county clerk's office is expanding hours and allowing people to apply online for licenses ahead of time.
- In Seattle, many same-sex couples seized the day 12-9-12, the first chance they were legally allowed to get hitched, but others opted to say "I do" on 12-12-12 instead.
- In Fort Myers Beach, Fla., the really hard core can get married at 12:12 on 12-12-12 in what the American Academy of Wedding Planners is calling the "wedding event of the century." For $500, you get a marriage license, an individualized wedding ceremony and entrance to a day of festivities.
"Iconic dates have become a wedding trend in the United States, reaching new heights when over 65,000 couples tied the knot on 7-7-'07," says Brian Beitler, chief marketing officer for David's Bridal.
But if you've got cold feet, he says, you can always wait for the next easy-to-remember anniversary, 11-12-13. That date already is being chosen for weddings by many brides.
When the numbers line up for Abbigail Smith, she's blowing out the candles. She told The Grand Rapids Press in Michigan that she has been waiting to celebrate turning 12 on 12-12-12 ever since she was 6.
The number 12-12 is one of the combinations that can bring good luck and fortune in China. According to the South China Morning Post, many private doctors are being booked for Caesarean births. The reason, it says: Dec. 12 stands for love, but a greater urgency to have children was felt on 11-11-11 (eternal love) and 10-10-10 (perfection).
Die-hard fans of the number 12 -- dubbed "dozenalists" -- say the real time to celebrate is 2016 because they are counting in base 12. The rest of us learn to count in base 10. That new year will be huge to the dozenalists.
"Decimal year 2016 will be dozenal year 1200, which we're all really looking forward to," says Donald Goodman, president of The Dozenal Society of America.
Others can't stop imagining what comes next. On Twitter, @Jin_Campbell wrote: "Tomorrow At 12 mins,12 secs after 12 o' clock on Dec 12th, the time will be 12:12:12,12/12/12 & 12 days before Christmas."
TWELVE NOTABLE TWELVES
Source: The Cincinnati Enquirer
- 12 months in a year.
- 12 hours on a clock face.
- 12 inches in a foot.
- 12 strikes to bowl a perfect game.
- 12 people have walked on the moon.
- 12 face cards in a deck.
- 12 days of Christmas.
- 12 apostles of Jesus.
- 12 steps of Alcoholics Anonymous.
- 12 jurors in felony trials.
- 12 signs of the Zodiac.
- 12 pairs of ribs in most humans.
(Copyright © 2012 USA TODAY)