Fire leaves 2 Northglenn families homeless for the holidays

11:11 PM, Dec 20, 2012   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

One of those fires was at the Regatta apartment complex in Northglenn.

The fire started just before 8 a.m. Eight units were either destroyed or damaged. Two families with young children were left with nothing just days before Christmas.

Sadie Whitworth was ready for Christmas. She bought all of her gifts online so she wouldn't have to face the crowds at stores.

"I had it all wrapped and under the tree. All the windows were lit with Christmas lights and red bows," Whitworth said.

While Whitworth was at work Wednesday morning she got a call from her neighbor saying her apartment was on fire.

"I pulled in to the Regatta driveway and you could just see black smoke bellowing into the sky," Whitworth said.

Whitworth and her neighbor, Esperanza Robles, lost everything. Their two units received the most damage and they were the only families with young children in the complex.

Robles has three small kids. Just like Whitworth, she had all of her gifts wrapped and under the tree, but after the fire, she was left with nothing.

"Our apartments had our lives in it," Robles said. "It was where we were raising our family."

When Robles saw smoke she packed up her kids, grabbed their coats and left. Just like Whitworth, all of her belongings and Christmas gifts were burned.

In the midst of both families devastation, they were able to find the true meaning of the holiday season. They were able to realize what is really important in life.

"When you lose everything it hits home," Whitworth said. "You realize what you should be thankful for this time of year. It's not what's wrapped under the tree; it's who sits beside you."

Both families have set up a fund to help them in the days ahead.

To donate to the Robles family:

To donate to the Whitworth family:
US Bank
Account number: 203 684 637 721

(KUSA-TV © 2012 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Most Watched Videos