KUSA - Deputies and neighbors are credited with saving a woman from a fire in the 5400 block of Jay Road, just outside of Boulder.
At 11:31 p.m. Saturday, Boulder County Sheriff's Deputy Jeff George found the home on fire after responding to reports of an explosion. A neighbor told the deputy that an elderly woman lived alone inside.
George forced his way in and found 83-year-old Marvyl Holder on the floor in her bedroom.
Her neighbor John Walpole, and Walpole's wife, followed George into the residence and helped - after the couple first heard the explosion and reported it to police.
"All of a sudden I hear a loud boom, and I say that's louder than a shotgun," Walpole said."There were fires everywhere, especially in the basement," he added.
Walpole says George kicked the door down at Holder's home and Walpole and his wife followed.
"They found her laying beside the bed," Walpole said. "And, her bedroom was in shambles but she was okay."
"The front porch was collapsing, and the front window had blown out. And all the foundation was coming apart. It was your worst nightmare [and] you can't believe that would actually happen," Walpole said.
Holder is doing OK, according to her family. She is not hospitalized and is recovering.
Police say she suffered from only minor smoke inhalation.
Boulder Police Officer Ed Burke, a second responder, helped carry Holder from the residence just moments before a second explosion.
Investigators say the fire was likely sparked by a gas leak. The home is considered to be a total loss.
Deputy Jeff George has been in the public eye over the last month. He is being investigated for his role in transporting the carcass of the elk shot in residential Boulder by a city police officer on New Year's Day.
(KUSA-TV © 2013 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)