KUSA - Dylan Redwine's long-troubled family continues to be divided, even after the heartbreaking discovery of the 13-year-old's remains.
Investigators announced Thursday that DNA tests confirm the remains found near Middle Mountain Road in the southwestern Colorado town of Vallecito are Dylan's.
The La Plata County Sheriff's office says this was not an accident and not the work of an animal. No suspects have been named, but they were clear: someone did this to Dylan.
The last seven months have been filled with accusations. Dylan's mom, Elaine Redwine, and brother suggesting his father, Mark Redwine, had something to hide.
Mark Redwine pointing back, saying that talk distracted from the search.
Dylan's brother, Corey Redwine, talked to 9NEWS Reporter Kevin Torres Thursday. Dylan considered Corey a best friend.
Corey says the family is hanging in there.
"They're just filled with emotions as we all are," he said. "It's just been a seven-month battle with waking up, going to bed."
The family had been hoping that Dylan would be found alive. Now that hope has turned into finding justice for Dylan
"With everything being found and finding his whereabouts now, it's time to get who did this," Corey said.
Corey sent a blunt text message to his father after Dylan's body was found.
"I sent him a text message saying 'Dylan and God know what happened.' And to whoever was involved, they'll pay the price," he said. "He hasn't responded to me at this time."
The La Plata County Sheriff's Office reiterated Thursday that all family members are cooperating in the investigation. Investigators have never named a suspect or a person or interest in the case.
9Wants To Know investigator Melissa Blasius talked with Mark Redwine by phone.
"Anyone who has met Dylan loves him and knows what a wonderful child he is," Mark said.
Mark Redwine's voice cracked as he described the last pictures taken of his son.
"It's my worst nightmare that came true," he said. "All I have on my mind right now is to reach out to Elaine and Corey, figure out what we need to do as his parents to give him a proper burial, because I think he deserves that."
Elaine Redwine released the following statement Friday:
Dylan's mother, Elaine, Mike and his brother Cory, as well as other members of Dylan's family have been without Dylan for seven months now. Each of those days held a glimmer of hope that they would see Dylan again. Yesterday, that hope vanished with the confirmation that our sweet, innocent Dylan had passed. The news was a crushing blow to the entire family as well as to so many of Dylan's supporters and friends, locally and around the world. The family would like to thank everyone who has assisted the search process by donating their time, energy or money as well as those who continued spreading Dylan's picture around the world. We would also like to thank law enforcement for your continued efforts and thorough searches and thank all the business owners who so willingly hung Dylan's posters in their windows in an effort to bring him home. While we have found him, we still do not know what happened to him and are determined to find out. While we continue to honor our sweet boy Dylan, our next mission is to get Justice for Dylan. We hope that everyone who has helped spread Dylan's face will now help us work to uncover the details of his disappearance and death. If anyone out there has any information that could help us bring justice, please contact the La Plata Sheriff's department. Children are the light in this world and we need to do what we can to keep other families and communities from tragedies such as this.
Other than the candlelight vigil planned in Bayfield on Saturday night, there are no other services planned at this time. Once those plans are made, the information will be shared on finddylan.com website. Thank you and God Bless.
(KUSA-TV © 2013 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)