KUSA - One week from Monday, the third annual USA Pro Challenge gets underway in Aspen/Snowmass with a circuit event through both towns.
The riders will expend a lot of energy and burn a ton of calories on the 68-mile route, so many people ask: How do cyclists refuel?
Biju from Skratch Labs in Boulder came by 9NEWS on Monday to discuss his work as the executive consulting chef for the Pro Challenge and the Tour Of California.
He mentioned how to make Blueberry and Chocolate Coconut Rice Cakes on the Monday morning shot. Here is the recipe:
Blueberry & Chocolate Coconut Rice Cakes
TIME: 25 minutes
- 3 cups uncooked sticky rice
- 4 ½ cups water
- ¾ cup coconut milk
- ¼ to ½ cup raw sugar to taste
- juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 1 ½ teaspoons coarse salt, or to taste
- 6 ounces chocolate chips (half of a regular bag
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- Combine rice, water, and a dash of salt in a rice cooker and let cook.
- Transfer cooked rice to a large bowl and add coconut milk. Add sugar and lemon juice.
- Stir thoroughly and salt to taste.
- Let rice cool then spread half onto a 9" x 13" baking pan. Press flat.
- Sprinkle chocolate chips and berries evenly over the rice.
- Gently press the remaining rice over the berries and chocolate.
- Let sit for 5 minutes, cut into squares and wrap.
Per serving: Energy 249 cal, Fat 6 g, Sodium 194 mg, Carbs 45 g, Fiber 2 g, Protein 4 g, Water 65%
Enjoy on your ride or run!
Reprinted from the new cookbook Feed Zone Portables with permission of VeloPress.
Find Feed Zone Portables in your local bookstore or bike shop and online. Learn more at feedzonecookbook.com.
(KUSA-TV © 2013 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)