LIVE VIDEO: 9NEWS Live at Noon    Watch
 

Infant burned after car seat placed on stove

7:40 PM, Oct 18, 2013   |    comments
  • Share
  • Print
  • - A A A +

KUSA - Police are investigating an incident in which a child was burned after being left on a hot stove inside a car seat.

Sources told crime and justice reporter Anastasiya Bolton that the little girl is less than a year old and the child was not in the care of her parents when the incident occurred shortly after 4 p.m. Thursday.

Denver fire crews responded to the 5000 block of Elkhart Street on a report of a fire.

Firefighters called for police when they discovered the infant was burned when the car seat ignited after being left on the stove.

Sources say the little girl is expected to be OK.

The child was in a care of a babysitter and wasn't the only child being watched at the time. The Colorado Department of Human Services licenses day care facilities in the state. A spokeswoman told 9NEWS a woman at the Elkhart Street address is not a licensed child care provider.

"It's an added level of assurance that the people have undergone some level of training and have the skills to provide meaningful childcare," said Liz McDonough, spokeswoman for the Colorado Department of Human Services.

The state requires a license if a provider takes care of his or her kid and more than one other families' children. There are also number restrictions on how many kids you can care for.

The state inspects facilities. Providers are required to undergo first aid training and the facilities have to stay within capacity.

It's too early in the investigation to say if the actions were intentional. Investigators say the person in the home had been attending to another child when the girl was burned.

Police will likely be doing more interviews to piece together what happened.

(KUSA-TV © 2013 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)

Most Watched Videos