LOVELAND - A cigarette is what caused a mobile home fire that killed a Loveland mother and son, according to the Loveland Fire Rescue Authority.
The Larimer County coroner on Thursday identified the woman as Hazel Piper, 70, and the man as Harvard Thomas, 50. Both deaths were ruled accidental.
Loveland fire said the home was equipped with a smoke detector, but the unit was not working because its battery had been disconnected.
The fire was reported Thursday just after midnight. Firefighters brought it under control in about 20 minutes.
Family members said Thomas had been living with his mother for years. He recently had been struggling with brain cancer.
The family dog, Snow, along with four cats, were also found dead inside the home.
(KUSA-TV © 2014 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)