KUSA – What is Molly?
1. Molly is the powder or crystal form of MDMA, which is the chemical used in Esctasy.
2. The drug, which is particularly popular at music festivals, led to two deaths at last year's Electric Zoo, which included high-profile acts including Avicii, David Guetta and Diplo.
3. Molly can take on many forms – but is most commonly a capsule or powder
4. According to the co-founder of a California rehab center, Molly users tend to be between 16 and 24 years old. Among the most prominent celebrity users? Miley Cyrus
5. The Drug Enforcement Administration considers MDMA to be a Schedule I controlled substance, meaning it has a high potential for abuse and no accepted use in medical treatment
6. Fewer than 4 percent of emergency room visits in 2009 were due to MDMA use, according to the Drug Abuse Warning Network
7. Whereas Ecstasy is frequently combined with other, potentially more dangerous drugs, Molly is said to contain pure MDMA. It costs between $30 and $50 a dose
8. Molly is known for inducing feelings of euphoria, closeness and diminished anxiety
9. Many attribute MDMA's resurgence to the return of EDM or electronic dance music). Rappers have also embraced the drug, with references appearing in songs by Kanye West, Lil Wayne and Nicki Minaj Miley Cyrus also admits to using MDMA.
(KUSA-TV © 2014 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)