Dog owners warned of poisoned meatballs in park

GUNBARREL, Colo. (AP) - Who would want to poison pets in Boulder County? That's what the Sheriff's office is trying to figure out. Animal control found several, raw meatballs with poison mashed in them at a popular dog park. At least three dogs ate them, and many others could be sick as well.

There's anger and fear surrounding the dog park on Buckingham Road.

"It's frightening, it's scary, it's sick. It's really sick," said dog walker, Keith Norman.

Since Monday night, three dogs have been treated for poisoning. Boulder Animal Control says they ate raw meatballs laced with rat poison. The meatballs were scattered across the park in the Gunbarrel area. So far, officers have found six of them.

"Disgusting, truly disgusting someone could do that," Norman said. "Someone found a meatball laced with some poison."

Dog owners and walkers like Norman are now avoiding the park. Animal control has posted signs to warn people.

"We have quite a few houses in this neighborhood, and one other one (dog) was sick," said another walker. "It just angers me, and makes me sick to my stomach."

Gibbs, a 6-year-old Lab, is one of the dogs who ingested the poison. His owner noticed him panting heavily. He didn't seem well, so he was taken to the vet. It's a good thing he went.

"The dog could be passed the point of treatment and unfortunately could die," said Dr. Jen Bolser.

Bolser is the chief veterinarian at Boulder Valley's Humane Society. She says symptoms in some dogs may take two to three days to show up. No treatment before that could lead to a worst case scenario.

"If there's any suspicion your dog ate any type of poison, it's best to seek emergency care, immediately," she said.

Boulder County says the meatballs were purposely left at the park for pets to eat. The poison found is now being tested, and so are the meatballs, for any trace of human DNA.

Pet owners are urged to look for signs including a lack of appetite, pale gums, breathing trouble and fatigue. If you notice any of these symptoms immediately take your animal to the vet.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment