DENVER BUSINESS JOURNAL - You applied for your dream job at a Fortune 500 company, and they want to meet you in person. Now comes the part that trips up many candidates: How to respond to those unpredictable interview questions?
I spoke with Bill Driscoll, district president for Accountemps. An expert in recruiting and hiring, Driscoll shed light on some common — and not-so-common — interview questions, as well as other interview tips for landing the job you want.
- Do your homework
- Prepare to play up your strong points
- Keep workplace culture in mind
- Expect the unexpected
Driscoll gives these interview tips when you come face to face with a curveball:
- Take your time. It’s fine to mull things over, especially if you have to decide which sandwich you identify with or what animal you’d want with you on a deserted island. But don’t take too long. Wacky interview questions are not so much about the answers, but to see how well you perform under pressure.
- Show your sense of humor. A clever joke or comment can impress interviewers, build rapport, and swing the needle in your favor. What you shouldn’t do when confronted with a curveball is to mumble “I don’t know,” or “What a stupid question.” Be a good sport and play along.
- Remember your delivery. Even though the question is wacky, you’re still in a professional environment and under scrutiny. So stay calm. Don’t be rude or crass. Do speak clearly, maintain positive eye contact, and dare to laugh at yourself.
© 2017 American City Business Journals.