Man shocked with 13,000 volts: 'I should be dead'

GREENWOOD VILLAGE – A man who was working to install a sign in Greenwood Village says he hit an underground electrical main Tuesday, which crews told him sent 13,000 volts briefly through his body.

Christopher Hargrave was working in the area near the Landmark building. He says he was digging a hole with a shovel and hit the main.

It caused an explosion, which sent Hargrave flying. Hargrave says doctors believe that's what might have saved his life.

"The ground was shooting out fireballs like a cannon," Hargrave said. "One of them went right over my face. I hit 13,000 volts. I should be dead, but I'm not."

Hargrave said he was taken to the hospital, but doctors later released him.

He said his body has been tingling ever since the incident. He believes surviving this incident was pure luck.

He even bought a lottery ticket afterwards.

"It makes me put things in perspective," he said. "It makes me hold my kids a little tighter."​

(KUSA-TV © 2014 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment