Man's home magnet for car accidents

LAKEWOOD - A Lakewood man wants a permanent radar speed sign installed on Union Boulevard near his home after yet another car slammed into his property.

Disabled Veteran Danny Cummings claims this is the seventh time a car has veered off the road and hit either a parked car or a pole doing damage to his or his neighbor's property. Sunday night, it was a drunk driver that slammed into the back of his son's car parked on the street.

"It sent his car flying, and it flew about 30 feet before it hit the ground in the neighbor's yard just missing our camp trailer," Cummings said.

His house is at the end of a curve on an otherwise straight Union Boulevard. In 2007, after one of several crashes, Cummings worked with the City of Lakewood to get four signs on each side of the street warning drivers of the rapidly approaching curve.

"My son sits out in his car and talks on the phone to have some privacy. But those days are over! We're not going to let him do that anymore," Cummings said.

In 2011, the City Council approved an ordinance that requires 95 percent of any neighbors affected by a potential traffic slowing installation to sign a petition. If 80 percent of those that sign the petition are in favor of the installation the city will agree to pay for 90 percent of the install. The other 10 percent would come from residents. It's a process this disabled veteran in a wheelchair cannot take on by himself.

"I just can't get up to the doors and knock on doors and do it. I am on a fixed income. I can't really come up with a bunch of money for it either." Cummings explained.

These speed radar signs cost anywhere between $12,000 and $15,000. So, residents would have to come up with $1,200 to $1,500 between themselves. Cummings is hoping to enlist a neighbor or two to start canvassing the neighborhood.

A spokesperson for the City of Lakewood said there is another option. Cummings could fill out the paperwork to have a temporary radar sign trailer placed in the area. The city says there have been at least six accidents in this block of Union Boulevard since 2011. Many of those accidents happen when cars are rear ended after slowing down to pull into their driveways.

The woman who was apparently drunk driving last night was taken to the hospital after the accident. She has been given a summons to appear in court.


To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment