Family who lost home in Littleton fire says it's a blessing they're alive

Keith and Marie Hughes woke up to flames in their bedroom window and got their family outside safely. Within minutes of getting out, the entire house was up in flames.

LITTLETON - A Littleton home was destroyed early Sunday morning after a fire sparked, engulfing it in flames.

Keith and Marie Hughes woke up to flames in their bedroom window and got their family outside safely. Within minutes of getting out, the entire house was up in flames. 

“You shouldn't survive that," Keith said. 

“We shouldn't have gotten out," Marie said. 

"It's a blessing to be alive," Keith said.

But because of the extent of the damage, West Metro Fire Rescue says it's hard to say with 100 percent certainty what started the fire. It will officially remain undetermined.

Crews responded to the home on Sunday around 4:30 a.m on the 5900 block of South Quail Way.

Minor damage to neighbor's homes was reported.

The family of four also has two dogs. They weren't able to go back inside to save the dogs. 

Marie found herself thinking of that question so many of us ask ourselves. 

“If your house was on fire, what would you save?" she said. "And you think about the most important things. And when it really happens to you, you just think of your own life and your family. You don’t think of the things you would save, you only think of the people.”

Their neighbors are thinking of them too. 

“You see we have to take care of each other on this earth," said Tom Charcon, who handed them cash to go buy dinner. 

A family member has set up this GoFundMe page to help them recover. 

© 2017 KUSA-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment