Royal Hotel in Yampa destroyed by fire

STEAMBOAT SPRINGS, Colo. (AP) - A problem with the coal-fired heating system in Yampa's Royal Hotel is believed to have caused the fire that destroyed the historic building.

The fire started Saturday night and continued into Sunday. No injuries were reported.

According to Steamboat Today, the hotel was built in 1906 by Thomas P. Lindsay and served miners, timber and railroad crews, ranchers and travelers on the Wolcott Stage line.

More recently, the hotel provided showers for area hunters and had the only year-round bar in town. Some residents say it was haunted by a ghost named Rufus. Conflicting legends say Rufus died of the flu epidemic while staying at the hotel or was a gambler killed after cheating in a poker game.

(Copyright 2015 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment