KUSA - Now that winter's behind us, many Coloradans are jumping into spring as a time of renewal. Spring cleaning and home improvements projects are starting to get underway, and the Colorado Egg Producers Association wants to help by letting everyone know about some surprisingly handy uses for eggs around the house.
The protein, nutritional content and texture of eggs provides so much not only for our bodies, but also for our gardens, our hair and more.
Here are some ways the incredible, edible egg can help Coloradans throughout their homes:
- Shampoo - The protein content in eggs is particularly beneficial for distressed and damaged hair. The albumen in egg whites cleans the hair while the egg yolk’s fat content conditions.
- Compost - Eggshells are great sources of calcium, a crucial nutrient for plants. Add eggshells to your compost to boost its nutrients and promote a healthy garden. You can also crush the eggs and toss them into the compost for a richer soil.
- Glue - An egg white can be used as effective paper glue. Use it to bind together light items, such as paper or cardboard. Whisk the egg white beforehand and use a brush to apply it to the surfaces you would like to adhere together.
- Leather Cleaner – Because egg white is sticky, it is able to remove dirt from leather. Apply the egg white to the leather surface and scrub lightly. The egg white will leave leather looking shiny and clean.
- Egg White Facial - An egg white mask will tighten your skin and diminish the look of fine lines as well as get rid of oily skin and reduce the appearance of blackheads and pores. Whisk egg whites with a little bit of water and apply the mixture to your face. Rinse off after a few minutes. For a moisturizing treatment, follow the same steps using egg yolks.
Learn more here:
Copyright 2016 KUSA