Unattended candles may be to blame for Morrison B&B fire

MORRISON - Crews fought a fire at The Horton House Bed and Breakfast in Morrison Thursday morning, which broke out around 5 a.m.

The B&B is located in the 100 block of Canon Street.

The historic house was significantly damaged. West Metro Fire said recent renovations made the fire difficult to fight.

Fire officials say the fire started the basement, and unattended burning candles were to blame.

Three people were inside at the time of the fire: the owner Lila Horton, a family member and a guest. They were all able to escape the building. There were two tents in the backyard, but no one was found inside. Horton said people usually camp out there for Red Rocks concerts.

The B&B is uninhabitable, according to West Metro Fire. Although the fire was contained to a small area, there is significant smoke damage throughout. West Metro Fire said the structure is most likely a complete loss.

There were reports that a roof partially collapsed, but it was actually a tarp covering the frame of a sunroom in the back that collapsed.

Horton was born in the house. Her daughter said her mom is doing well, thanks to community support.

The Hortons organized a GoFundMe page so the community could help them raise money to help with repairs: http://bit.ly/1JGc8t9. Horton says they have lost everything since they did not have insurance.

(© 2015 KUSA)


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment
More Stories