Woman hospitalized after house fire in Bennett

Firefighters were able to put the fire out within an hour.

KUSA - A woman was taken to the hospital with second-degree burns after a fire broke out at a house in Bennett Sunday afternoon. 

A spokesperson for Bennett Fire says the fire was reported at a house near East Colfax Avenue and South 1st Street just before 12:45 p.m. 

Three people were inside at the time. The woman was the only person who was hospitalized. 

Firefighters say they were able to get the fire under control just before 1:35 p.m. 

Bennett Fire says the fire started when a woman tried to cool off some hot ashes in a garbage can with a fire hose. The ashes, however, fell over onto some gas cans, igniting the gas. 

Bennett Fire got help from firefighters from Sable Altura Fire Rescue, the Strasburg Fire Protection District and the Byers Fire Protection District. 

© 2017 KUSA-TV


JOIN THE CONVERSATION

To find out more about Facebook commenting please read the
Conversation Guidelines and FAQs

Leave a Comment