Sixteen-month-old Trinity is recovering in the hospital from critical injuries her mother says are from putting a USB cable in her mouth.
Her mom, Rhianna Anderson, says on Monday Trinity was running around the living room while she was in a recliner.
Her laptop, which was plugged into the wall, was right next to her with a USB cable dangling from it.
Rhianna says Trinity ran out of her view, and in a matter of seconds, "I turned around and she was face down on the floor," Anderson said. "There's pieces of her skin melted onto the end of it."
Trinity was taken to a hospital in Longmont and then flown to Denver.
"She was basically lifeless, they had to shock her heart into a normal rhythm," Anderson said.
Trinity has third-degree burns in her mouth, is missing some flesh on her upper lip, and her tongue is so swollen it fills her entire mouth.
"Numerous doctors have come in to see what's happened. They've all looked at the cord, and no one can believe that this could have done the extensive amount of damage that it has," Anderson said.
Anderson's father, a volunteer firefighter, has seen a few cases involving electrical shocks, but nothing like this.
Jeff Anderson thinks it's possible the shock may have also come from Rhianna's laptop charger, although the laptop suffered no damage. He thinks a fault in the charger may have added to the voltage.
"I want to put my hands on her and draw the pain away, I want to see her come through this," Anderson said.
9NEWS didn't find any similar reports of USB's shocking young children. However, we did locate a few articles talking about how it's never a good idea for parents to leave wires and cords around children because of the potential for shock.
"The small safety measures that doctors tell you to make could be life saving," Rhianna Anderson said.
Doctors are optimistic that Trinity will recover.
We contacted Apple to get a comment on the safety of its USB cords, but have yet to hear back.
(Copyright KUSA*TV, All Rights Reserved)