The CDPHE was testing for the disease after a student at Metro State died suddenly.
"When a student dies of a sudden and severe illness, there's only a few things that typically cause that. One of those is meningococcemia, and there's been quite a bit of that in the state recently," Dr. Paul Schadler, Medical Director at the Health Center at Auraria, which provides health services to Metro State College of Denver, University of Colorado at Denver, and the Community College of Denver, said.
The name of the student and the details of how the student died have not been released.
One Metro State student died earlier this year from the disease.
In June, three adult hockey players in Fort Collins died from a strain of meningococcal bacteria. The same strain is responsible for the death of a Colorado State University Student in October.
(KUSA-TV © 2010 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)