"I See What You Mean," by local artist Lawrence Argent, has seen the effects of time and will be re-coated and re-painted to bring him back to his original sparkling blue color.
The seven year old sculpture will also get some routine maintenance done to his steel and concrete shell. The repairs should take roughly 11 days.
Big Blue Bear Fun Facts:
- Commissioned by the Denver Public Art Program in 2005
- The bear was inspired by the artist's children and their toys
- He is the size of a 747 aircraft
- His size was inspired by the height of "Dancers" by Borofsky in Sculpture Park
- "Dancers" are 60-feet high; a bear is 2/3 the size of a human, so 2/3 of 60 is 40 feet
- It took five trucks to ship his six pieces, 1,238 miles from California, and 25 people to assemble him
- He is made of steel armature and polymer concrete
Have any Big Blue Bear stories or photos to share? Let us know on the 9NEWS Facebook Page.
(KUSA-TV © 2012 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)