Police say paper towels close to the stove's burners caught fire as the girl was cooking at the Briarwood Commons Condo Complex on Elm Circle in Golden.
The child carried the burning towels outside, but left the burners on. That caused the flames to spread to neighboring units. The girl went to a neighbor's house to call 911.
The fire heavily damaged the condo and caused smoke and fire damage to four other units.
Fire officials say two cats died in the fire.
(KUSA-TV © 2012 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)