WESTMINSTER - A two-story townhome with an unfurnished basement caught on fire Tuesday morning.
According to Westminster Fire, the fire call came in at 3:36 a.m. in the 2900 block of West 81st Avenue.
When crews arrived, they could see smoke coming from the front door. The family of four had already safely evacuated.
The fire started in the furnace, according to Westminster Fire. There was no flame damage to the home since the furnace was in the basement, but there was extensive smoke damage.
The firefighters were able to rescue two cats out of the house.
Fire officials wanted to remind homeowners that this fire could be a lesson to everyone. The family's smoke detectors were working, which alerted the family to the fire. They also said now is the perfect time of year to make sure all smoke detectors are working and to change the batteries. Fire officials also want to remind everyone to get their heating appliances serviced to prevent fires.
(KUSA-TV © 2013 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)