SHARECOMMENTMORE

On August 1, 9NEWS showed you video of a dog named Falk sleeping in his own urine and feces.

"Falk's suite was cleaned three times on the last day and the dog was bathed twice," kennel owner David Jackson said.

The State Department of Agriculture completed its investigation of the incident and found Club Pet DIA was non-compliant in one area, but did not break the law. Charges will not be filed.

Over the past month, 9Wants to Know has uncovered several complaints about this kennel, including a case where a dog died.

Jackson, says they've addressed every issue.

Falk's owner, Audra Huelsman Zahn, says it's been a rough month for her dog.

"He was really in shock. So it got much worse before it got better," Zahn said.

Zahn got an $80 dollar a night penthouse room at Club Pet DIA, beginning on July 23rd.

She says Falk went in healthy, and came out a week later with open sores.

"Just covered from head to toe in urine and diarrhea," Zahn said.

Video shows nobody checked on Falk for hours on his last night in the kennel.

The nine-year-old blind German shepherd walked, and even slept in his own mess.

"He was sick for weeks afterwards," Zahn said.

The vet bills have already added up to $3,000, Zahn said. Club Pet is offering to pay that bill.

"A direct result of their inability to maintain a clean kennel, to observe our dog," Zahn said.

Colorado Department of Agriculture inspectors found Club Pet DIA non-compliant in just one area, pet observation and there will be no charges filed.

"That this doesn't meet the threshold for criminal neglect is almost inconceivable to me," Zahn said.

Club Pet's owner David Jackson declined an interviewrequest, but did issue a statement to 9Wants to Know through a public relations agency:

"Club Pet received the inspection report from the Colorado Department of Agriculture related to an incident on 7-29-12 at its Club Pet DIA facility. Club Pet DIA was found compliant with all requirements with the exception of a request to improve standards in regards to pet observations. In response to that finding, Club Pet DIA is increasing dog/cat observations to 8 times a day, or every three hours and improving our reporting policies. Any injuries or illnesses found in the observations are noted in an incident report by the employee who made the observation. It is signed off by a manager and care is provided as needed.


Pets with known disabilities or illnesses will receive more thorough physical inspections as needed. Club Pet DIA has also added to its network of surveillance cameras to ensure animals are observed more frequently.

In response to a complaint about an incident that occurred in June, Club Pet DIA was found COMPLIANT by the Colorado Department of Agriculture. In fact in its report, The Colorado Department of Agriculture stated "the mild nature of the dogs' injuries was consistent with the types of injuries that may and occasionally do happen in daycare environments."


Club Pet regrets any instances of unsatisfactory care, and strives to deliver the best care possible when patrons are away. We have a sterling record for pet boarding and our goal is to move forward by providing the best care to our customers while improving our standards of veterinary care."

FULL LETTER FROM CLUB PET OWNER.

Jackson told 9Wants to Know Falk only had diarrhea on his last day.

Club Pet's own records show he also had it on day one.

VIEW THE DOCUMENTS HERE.

"He had clearly been sick the entire time," Zahn said.

When 9NEWS asked about the discrepancy, Jackson replied in a statement:

"In response to Aurora Police Report documents collected at Club Pet Resorts' DIA facility, a Club Pet DIA employee recorded that the dog (Falk) had a soft stool upon check-in on 7/23/2012. After the notation was made, the dog was monitored closely. Each day after that, up until the day of the dog's departure, it presented firm and healthy stools. According to our video surveillance and confirmed by the Department of Agriculture report, the dog didn't present with diarrhea symptoms until 7/29. The dog was cleaned and taken care of several times that day. Keep in mind that this dog is blind, and nearly 10 years old, and was obviously stressed by being left in the kennel. It is unfortunate that the dog had diarrhea again shortly before the owners returned to pick him up before our staff had a chance to clean him. This is why we have implemented our increased physical wellness checks on all animals to ensure this doesn't happen again."


9Wants to Know has learned, Club Pet DIA was found non-compliant twice before.

In 2009, 2 employees were supervising 38 dogs, when there should have been 3. In a statement, Jackson says they resolved the issue:

"In response to the complaint filed with the Department of Agriculture in 2009, Club Pet DIA ensures they are never over the proper ratio by even one dog in the daycare area. This is overseen by management at the facility. At the beginning of each day, the management team approves the number of dogs for the daycare program per the number of employees working on that particular day. There are 25 employees at the DIA facility and each day there are only 15 dogs enrolled in daycare to each employee. This is something every pet daycare struggles with and it is one issue that Club Pet DIA has resolved and works to ensure it will never happen again."

In 2010, a 13-month-old English bulldog named Bella died of brain swelling after a Club Pet worker left her outside in the heat for an hour. The facility was cited for a "heating and cooling" violation.

Jennifer Edwards, an attorney and founder of the Animal Law Center, says Colorado kennels are inconsistently regulated.

"[It] seems like just kind of a slap on the wrist," Edwards said. "It's infuriating to me as an attorney and I'm sure it's very infuriating to pet owners."

In the case of the dog that died, Jackson told 9Wants to Know in a statement:

"In response to the complaint filed in response to an incident in July 2010, Club Pet DIA is more cautious of maintaining a temperature controlled environment. In this instance, it was a very regrettable human error by an employee who is no longer with Club Pet DIA. The employee was dismissed immediately. In the two years since this occurred, Club Pet DIA has changed its policies so pets spend more time in the indoor play area when it is too hot outside. We are also monitoring all employees and animals more closely. One way of doing this is by increasing the number of surveillance cameras for better supervision. These cameras are constantly monitored by managers at the facility."


Huelsman Zahn is afraid other pet incidents will go unreported.


"We picked up a very, very, very sick dog," Zahn said. "We need to make sure we're getting the word out and we're taking care of each other."

In the month since 9Wants to Know has done this story, viewers have sent more than two dozen newstips about Club Pet DIA.

Two of them are positive, the remainder are negative.

Jackson says, for 25 years, they've cared for more than 100,000 dogs and the vast majority of his clients are extremely happy.

Link to the Animal Law Center

PACFA - To file a complaint

PACFA - FAQ's

SHARECOMMENTMORE