It's not just the children eating all that candy, but plenty of moms and dads have been known to dig into the pillowcase full of goodies. But most of us don't realize just how many calories are in the little bar or bag of candy and how quickly scarfing down 8 or 10 of them can add up to that calorie count.

Here are a few examples:

  • Candy Corn: 50 calories; 0 grams of fat; 12 carbs
  • MiniBars (Milky Way, Snickers3Musketeers): 45 calories; 2 grams of fat; 30 carbs
  • Jr Mints: 80 calories; 1.5 grams of fat; 16 carbs
  • Skittles: 60 calories; 0.5 grams of fat; 42 carbs
  • Starbust: 40 calories; 1 grams of fat; 34 carbs
  • Swedish: 55 calories; 0 grams of fat; 14 carbs
  • Sour Patch: 55 calories; 0 grams of fat; 14 carbs
  • York Peppermint Patty: 50 calories; 1 grams of fat; 11 carbs

So if you end up eating just 9 to10 little bags or bars of candy, you've just eaten the calorie equivalent of a Big Mac!

But since getting lots of candy is one of the goals of trick-or-treating here are some tips that might help you and your kids from eating way too much candy over the next few days.

First off, if you still need to buy candy buy the type you don't like. That way you'll be less likely to eat piece after piece. And when trick-or-treaters arrive at your front door, make sure you give out your favorite candy first. We all tend to give away the "bad" stuff and save our favorites so we can have them later. But that means we probably eat more of them then we intend.

When your kids get home with their bounty of candy have them separate it into two piles. One pile for the ones they like and the other one for the ones they don't care much for. Get rid of the ones they don't like and some of the ones they do like if you can get away with it. You can take them to work, although you might not be your coworker's favorite person if you do. You can also donate them or sell them back to a local dentist.

Dentists that participate in the sell back program not only will pay for your Halloween candy but will send that candy to troops serving overseas. Talk to your dentist to see if they are participating. Or you can go to to find one near you.