LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

His 15-year-old sister, Diana and their mother, Pat spent about the same amount of time at the hospital.

That's because last September a fire ripped through their Denver home off of Federal and Alameda.

When firefighters arrived they were all unconscious on the front lawn.

It's something most of us can't even imagine, and it's something their family will have to deal with for the rest of their lives.

For that reason Children's Hospital in Aurora offers what they call "Burn Camp."

"The camp was started for that very reason," Occupational Therapist and Burn Camp Director, Trudy Boulter said. "Knowing that the hospital can only do so much and there's a whole slew of issues that lay ahead of them."

Burn Camp allowed Juan and Diana to have fun with other kids who have gone through exactly the same thing.

It was at that camp that Boulter learned something about Juan and Diana she didn't know.

"We were doing an activity where they tell their burn story and say something they are grateful for," Boulter said. "Juan said, 'I am happy I get to move home. We won't have carpet for a long time, but I'm going to have a bedroom.' I thought 'oh my goodness, here's this family that's been homeless for a year.' I was kind of shocked that was a part of his life I didn't know about and I had taken care of him [for months]."

Boulter was determined to continue taking care of Juan and his family after they left the hospital.

"It made me very dedicated to see what we could do and my husband happens to be the President of the Denver Burn Foundation," Boulter said. "[I called him] and I said, 'do you think we can help them?'"

Boulter's husband, Assistant Fire Chief Patrick Hynes already knew the family.

It was his fire station that responded first to the home fire and revived Juan, Diana and Pat.

He knew they needed help. The home was unlivable and sat charred and desolate for an entire year.

"The house was gutted," Hynes said. "There was extreme smoke damage everywhere. We basically started from scratch."

Dozens of firefighters spent hundreds of hours of their personal time fixing up the house.

The Denver Fire Fighters Burn Foundation paid for the majority of the remodel. The rest came from personal donations from individual firefighters, including one Colorado Springs firefighter who donated something essential and unexpected.

He donated a U-Haul full of furniture-beds, tables, couches, TV's and linens.

And for the first time in 14 months Juan, Diana and Pat saw their house look more like a home.

There were tears, hugs, lots of smiles and even a few surprises all for a grateful and deserving family.

"For it to have an ending like this, a person can't ask for more," Pat Garcia, Juan and Diana's mother said. "It's the best Thanksgiving ever. They're awesome. There are no words to ever repay what they did."

The goal of the firefighters was to have the family in their home by Thanksgiving.

Restoration Community Church in Denver also painted the outside of their home.

Pat plans to cook a big Thanksgiving dinner for all the firefighters, the church and Children's Hospital staff this week to show her thanks.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE