SHARECOMMENTMORE

According to his family, he died Thursday night at Denver Health Medical Center where he was taken after being pulled from his burning home at 330 Downing St.

Hardy worked at the Rocky Mountain News in the early 1980s and was a long-time resident of Denver's Country Club neighborhood.

Hardy's dogs, Buster, an English bulldog, and Caesar, a Chihuahua pug mix, died in the fire.

About 1:45 a.m. Tuesday, Denver firefighters received a report of smoke in the area north of the Denver Country Club, but they didn't have an exact address, Denver Fire Department spokesman Lt. Phil Champagne said.

Read more at The Denver Post