Someone tried to kill themselves by ingesting a highly-contaminating substance around 8 a.m. Emergency responders were initially told that it was mercury, but it was not. They would not say what the substance was exactly.
Since mercury has the potential to be "highly contaminating," some emergency responders, two police officers and a case worker with the health department,were taken to the hospital as a precautionary measure. Sonny Jackson the publice information officer with the Denver police department said they are fine, and the building is safe.
"Whenever we hear someone say they took something involving mercury or any other substance that could be highly dangerous to anyone else, we get the pros in here to let them make that determination," Jackson said. "You would rather err on the side of caution."
The person who tried to kill themselves survived the incident.