LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE

AURORA THEATER SHOOTING STORIES

Some victims say it's important to reclaim the theater as part of the healing process. Others refused the invitation to attend.

Century Theater X-D officially opens Thursday, but Kaylan Bailey, 14, and Hailee Hensley, 13, won't be going to see a movie there, not yet.

Both teens were inside theater 9 on July 20. Bailey's frantic 911 call was played in court last week. In that call she told the dispatcher her cousins Ashley Moser and Veronica Moser Sullivan were shot.

Veronica is the youngest victim of the shooting. She was 6 when she died. Moser is paralyzed, and lost the baby she carrying as a result of the shooting.

"I tried to get Veronica from under her mom because her mother was lying on her chest to protect her she was paralyzed and she couldn't move, I couldn't actually do CPR but I tried," Bailey said.

Wednesday Bailey and Hensley came back to the theater.

"For me, I wanted to go back because that theater was the last place I ever saw Veronica and it really means a lot to me," Bailey said. "So I wanted to see it again, because I feel like when I'm there, there's a part of her there too."

Bailey said she's been to the theater one other time since the shooting, when the construction was just starting.

For Hensley, this was the first time to be back.

"It was good," she said. "I haven't gone to a movie, I kind of feel like I want to. I'm just not sure how it would work out."

Both teens walked in and sat in the same seats as they had that night.

"It brought back memories, but it told me it was safe here. It's better now and things like this don't happen all the time. It's safe here," Hensley said.

"Going back now I feel safer," Bailey said. "I like what they did with it. It kind of makes me want to move forward and stop telling myself that I'm never going to see another movie."

Most of the survivors and victims' families 9NEWS spoke with are choosing not to go back for the opening ceremony on Thursday.

Aurora: Lift gag order in theater shooting case

The City of Aurora has asked a judge to lift a gag order preventing officials from discussing the July 20 attack at a movie theater that left 12 dead and 70 injured.

In court papers filed Tuesday and made public Wednesday, an attorney for the city said officials have received several requests from police and fire departments for briefings and tips on how they managed the attack on a midnight screening of "The Dark Knight Rises."

The city also noted that it has received public records requests from media, academics and individuals around the world.

Judge William Sylvester imposed a gag order three days after the shooting that prevents all parties in the case form releasing information. Accused gunman James Holmes is due to be arraigned in March on 166 felony counts for the massacre.

The city argued that the gag order is moot after prosecutors revealed details of their case against Holmes in a three-day hearing last week. Sylvester found that the evidence was strong enough to make Holmes stand trial.

Martha L. Fitzgerald, attorney for the city, argued that officials should at least be allowed to release recordings of 911 calls from the attack that were played in court last week and to discuss the response to the shooting.

LINKEDINCOMMENTMORE