LONGMONT – Animal Control in Longmont is urging neighbors to be vigilant after a family discovered three meatballs laced with poison in their front yard.
Tammy Deitz with Longmont Animal Control says meatballs laced with 'd-Con', a common rodent poison, were discovered at a home in the 400 block of Collyer Street Saturday afternoon.
Deitz said the meatballs were found tossed in the front yard over a short two-foot fence adjacent to a sidewalk.
The owners of the home have two Wire Hair Dachshunds. The family reported one of their dachshunds brought a plastic bag containing several of the blue-green pellets into the house a week prior.
Saturday, the homeowner reported finding the meatballs in his yard as he was preparing to mow the lawn.
In June of 2013, a threatening letter was sent to the same family. The letter used vulgar language and threatened to kill their dogs if they didn't "shut up." The homeowners filed a report with police.
Animal control has not responded to any barking or other complaints at the home in the last seven years.
Deitz said Animal Control officers are particularly concerned because of a pattern in the neighborhood, which is just off of Main Street and 4th Avenue in Longmont. It is the only area in which the poisoned meatballs have been found.
Two other homes on the same street have reported suspicious instances within the last year. Last June, a neighbor, Kristi Scott, discovered poisoned meatballs in their backyard, but were able to dispose of them before any harm came to their dogs.
"It's just crazy and I just think, my first thought is, 'why don't you go talk to somebody about it, go talk to a human about it,'" Scott said. "I just think somebody is a nut bag—and I think it's somebody in this neighborhood, which is disturbing."
In May, Animal Control says a healthy dog from the same neighborhood passed away suddenly from organ failure. The dog's owners reported the dog was throwing up, but the canine had not had other symptoms typical of 'd-Con' poisoning, which include bloody stool. That dog was a Corgi, named Cody. His owner, Jeremy Jacobi, suspects poisoned meatballs may have led to Cody's death.
"I was very very sad. And still, every time I look at a picture of him, I just get really sad that my dog is gone," Jacobi said.
Police and Animal Control are investigating the reports and ask neighbors to be vigilant. Anyone with information should call Longmont Police at 303-651-8501.
The Longmont Police Department will be coordinating a neighborhood notification on Monday, June 2.
(KUSA-TV © 2014 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)