2997 44 LINKEDIN 8 COMMENTMORE

(NEWSER) – Hours before he was supposed to start his first day of his senior year of high school in Georgia, 17-year-old Zyrees Oliver collapsed and was rushed to the hospital in a helicopter.

He'd consumed two gallons of water and two gallons of Gatorade after football practice, and was so over-hydrated that his body's electrolytes were thrown off-balance, causing massive swelling in his brain. Five days later, on Sunday night, he was taken off the ventilator.

"He's already in heaven," his aunt, Nina Oliver told the Atlanta-Journal Constitutionthat night. He was pronounced dead hours later. "It's incomprehensible," she said. "We had a healthy, beautiful, vibrant young man."

Zyrees Oliver excelled at both football and track, and boasted a 3.8 GPA, according to his family and friends. His classmates wore team colors and formed a prayer circle at school on Friday, while grief counselors were dispatched Monday.

While death from over-hydration is very rare, it does happen; one woman died in 2007 after drinking two gallons of water in a radio contest, reports CBS News.

Newser is a USA TODAY content partner providing general news, commentary and coverage from around the Web. Its content is produced independently of USA TODAY.

(Copyright © 2014 USA TODAY)

Read or Share this story: http://www.9news.com/story/news/health/2014/08/13/teen-dies-water-gatorade-football-practice/14003685/