KUSA - A vanilla shake served to a customer at a Thornton Dairy Queen was contaminated with a chemical cleaner.
Lisa Chase stopped by the drive-thru of Dairy Queen at 3894 E. 120th Avenue Thursday with her two children Thursday night. Riley, her son, ordered a vanilla milkshake. Chase and her daughter ordered blizzards.
Riley took a sip of the shake and immediately complained to his mom about the taste.
"He took a drink of it and then he said 'mom this shake tastes disgusting,'" Chase said.
She decided to take a sip also.
"I took a drink of it and instantly you knew that was not a vanilla shake," she said. "It burned my mouth and my throat. You could feel it burn all the way down to your stomach."
Chase immediately went back to the store to complain. She says she was met by employees who were less than helpful.
"There was nothing. There was no concern. There wasn't 'let's stop making this stuff,'" she said.
After returning home, she called the store and spoke with a manager who admitted to her there had been a contamination. He told her they had not yet identified the source.
9NEWS spoke with the franchise owner on Friday. He says the vanilla syrup bottle was contaminated with a chemical cleaner. He explained that an employee was cleaning the bottle and left it in the sink. Another employee picked up the bottle, refilled it with syrup and put it back out.
Both employees have been written up. The owner also says they've contacted poison control and are working with the health department. Chase says she received a call from a regional manager Friday morning. He gave her the same explanation.
One other person called the store to complain about the milkshake, but did not leave any contact information. The franchise owner is urging any customer who thinks they were affected to call the store.
"I just think that people need to be held more accountable," Chase said. "That should have never happened. There's no excuse."
(KUSA-TV © 2014 Multimedia Holdings Corporation)