KUSA - This is kitten season in Colorado, and the American Humane Association is hoping you'll consider adopting a cat during the month of June.
Local sheltershave tons of cute, cuddly newborns, in addition to all the mellow, older cats and everything in between.Shelter staffers are ready to help you adopt your very first cat - or to bring home a friend for another beloved cat.
"TOP TEN" CHECKLIST FOR ADOPTING A CAT
1. If you're thinking about adopting a cat, consider taking home two.
2. Find a cat whose personality compliments yours.
3. Pick out a veterinarian ahead of time and schedule a visit within the first few days following the adoption.
4. Make sure everyone in the house is prepared to have a cat before it comes home.
5. Budget for the short- and long-term costs of a cat.
6. Stock up on supplies before the cat arrives.
7. Cat-proof your home.
8. Go slowly when introducing your cat to new friends and family.
9. Be sure to include your new pet in your family's emergency plan.
10. If you're considering giving a cat as a gift, make sure the recipient is an active participant in the adoption process.
To learn more, please visit:http://www.americanhumane.org/