Content Provided by the Colorado Garden Foundation. 9NEWS is a sponsor of the 2019 Colorado Garden and Home Show.
Sixty years ago, the “Colorado Garden Show” started as a fundraiser for Denver Botanic Gardens and was held in a tent on the University of Denver’s campus.
Over the decades, the Colorado Garden & Home Show has grown to become one of the largest events to come through the Colorado Convention Center each year, as well as one of the largest drivers to our local economy.
One hundred percent of the ticket proceeds from this and the Colorado Fall Home Show support horticultural grants and scholarships around the state. Over the 60 years of Colorado Garden Foundation’s existence, that total sums to more than $9 million.
To celebrate the 60 year legacy of Colorado Garden Foundation, here are nine of the projects this foundation, and your ticket purchase, have helped to support:
- Colorado State University - not only does one student receive a full-ride, four-year scholarship to CSU each year; CSU and its extensions have received grant funding for the development of a 4-H youth program and master gardener education program, among other projects.
- Craig Hospital - recipient of multiple grants to build their healing and therapy gardens, for patient and family use.
- Denver Rescue Mission - to support their Harvest Farm.
- Boys & Girls Club - for the creation of a youth development park.
- Sewall Child Development Center - to help create an outdoor sensory garden for students.
- Town of Telluride - to support their greenhouse.
- Denver Urban Gardens - in support of many community garden and education projects.
- Tennyson Center for Children - to help fun their Waves of Grass demonstration garden as well as other gardens for the kids.
- Salvation Army - to help launch a gardening program for kids.
On Saturday, Feb. 16, the 2019 grant winners will be awarded and another roughly half million dollars will be awarded during the Colorado Garden & Home Show.
Members of the public are invited to attend the award ceremony as part of their attendance at this year’s Colorado Garden & Home Show.
SUGGESTED VIDEOS | Feature stories from 9NEWS