DENVER — Calabacitas is a dish that is truly a Southwestern favorite.
Made with squash, onion, corn, tomatoes and cheese, you'll find this sautéed dish to be healthy, comforting and satisfying.
- 2 summer squash (you can cube them or slice them in half moon shape but not too thick but not thin because they’ll get mushy)
- 2 zucchini squash (same advice for chopping)
- 2 patty pan squash (when available)
- 1 bundle of fresh cilantro (I usually mix it with onions when I sauté them and not only for flavor but for color)
- 1 whole onion (I use white onion but it really is your preference)
- 1 tablespoon of minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons of salt (taste once it’s all together and make the determination if you need to add more)
- ½ teaspoon of pepper (same as salt, either add more or less to your taste)
- 1 teaspoon of cumin (now it’s not the spice for everyone but a hint in combination with cilantro and oregano is fabulous!)
- 2 teaspoons of crushed oregano
- ½ cube butter, not margarine or use a tablespoon of olive oil
- 4-6 cobs of corn (you want to shuck off the cob; if not in season, use frozen corn)
- 3 tomatoes (cubed)
- ½ cup evaporated milk (can add more if you like)
- 1 cup cheese (more or less dependent on your taste)
- When the white scalloped patty pan squash are in season, I dice up all 3 and set them aside.
- Chop your cilantro and onions small.
- Melt your butter in a pan that will hold everything, and sauté your onions, cilantro, a tablespoon of minced garlic for a couple of minutes and then add fresh corn and sauté together for a couple of minutes.
- Add tomatoes and let the flavors blend for 5 minutes.
- Then add the squash (for a smaller batch just cut back on ingredients), spices and let cook but stir every 5 minutes for 12 minutes. You don’t want your squash to get mushy and you want a little firmness to it.
- Add evaporated milk, stir and then add cheese.
- Let it simmer for a few minutes and taste. Squash should be firm and not mushy.
SUGGESTED VIDEOS: Recipes and DIY
MORE WAYS TO GET 9NEWS
Subscribe to our daily 9NEWSLETTER
9NEWS+ has multiple live daily shows including 9NEWS Mornings, Next with Kyle Clark and 9NEWS+ Daily, an original streaming program. 9NEWS+ is where you can watch live breaking news, weather updates, and press conferences. You can also replay recent newscasts and find videos on demand of our top stories, local politics, investigations and Colorado specific features.
To download 9NEWS+ on Roku search for KUSA.
To download 9NEWS+ on Fire TV search for 9NEWS.