DENVER — More than ever, we all can use meal ideas and this crusty pan-fried lentil patties recipe is great for when you have leftover lentils or if you have lentils in your pantry.
Lentils are nutritious and they are easy to prepare. Half a cup of cooked lentils provides about 12 grams of protein, as well as fiber, iron, folate, potassium, and manganese. A recipe on how to cook lentils is below if you need it.
The best part is that a pound of dry lentils, which is about 14 servings only costs about $1.50. Lentils are an inexpensive plant-based protein that makes a great pantry staple.
Lentil patties or lentil burgers
Makes 4 lentil patties
1 cup of cooked basic lentils, drained (no need to reheat) (see recipe below)
½ cup carrots
½ cup onion, roughly chopped
1 garlic clove
1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
½ cup whole walnuts
2 tablespoons rolled oats
½ tsp. cumin
1 tsp. oregano
Salt and black pepper, as desired
1 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. panko breadcrumbs
1) In a frying pan, sauté onions, garlic, and carrots with half of the olive oil until vegetables are soft and translucent.
2) Transfer this mixture to a food processor and process.
3) Add oats and walnuts and process again for less than a minute.
4) Transfer this mixture to a bowl, add lentils and remaining ingredients. Mix well until everything is well combined, and form four medium-sized patties.
5) Heat a frying pan and add the remaining olive oil. Pan fry lentil patties well on each side. Wait to flip until they are well cooked and a crusty bottom has formed.
6) If you prefer bake for 30-40 minutes at 400 degrees. They will keep well if you freeze them for other meals.
Makes: 3 cups of cooked lentils
1 cup dry lentils, cleaned, rinsed, and drained
1 garlic clove, mashed
4 cups water
Let it boil, cover and cook on low/simmer for 20 - 25 minutes.
Add spices as desired such as sea salt, black pepper, cumin, and garlic powder. Other spices that you could add are: turmeric, ginger, annatto, chili powder, cayenne pepper, curry powder, or paprika.
SUGGESTED VIDEOS: Recipes and DIY