COLORADO, USA — Fresh, warm soft pretzels are one of those treats that are always tempting when you see them on a menu, pass one of those pretzel stands in a mall or see everyone else with their paper wrapped pretzels at fairs and carnivals.
Luckily, they are actually pretty easy to make yourself.
They key is boiling the dough in a mixture of water and baking soda before you bake it. It's what gives the outside that distinctive brown and slightly crisp crunch.
This recipe is for pretzel bites, but you can use the same one for large soft pretzels if you would prefer. Just twist the dough into a pretzel shape after rolling it into ropes instead of cutting into bite-size pieces.
Homemade soft pretzel bites
Time: 1.5 hours
- 3/4 cups warm water
- 3 Tbs butter, melted
- 1 Tbs brown sugar
- 1/2 pkg active dry yeast (about 1 tsp)
- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup baking soda
- 1 egg
- kosher salt
- Combine water, butter, sugar and yeast in stand mixture. Using dough hook, mix until combined. Let stand for about five minutes.
- Add salt and flour a mix on low speed until combined. Increase speed and continue mixing until the dough is smooth and pulls away from the bowl. Turn onto a clean surface and knead into a ball.
- Place ball into a bowl, coated with vegetable oil. Turn dough over until coated with oil. Cover with plastic wrap. Place in a warm spot and let rise for about an hour or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 425°.
- Remove dough from bowl put on clean surface. Divide dough into 4 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a long rope that's about equal in width. Cut ropes into one inch pieces.
- Meanwhile, bring a large bowl of water to a boil. Carefully, add baking soda.
- Boil pretzel bites in the baking soda and water for about 30 seconds, working in batches. Remove with a slotted spoon and place on a greased baking sheet.
- Beat egg with 1 Tbs cold water.
- Brush each pretzel bite with egg wash and sprinkle with salt. Bake for 15-18 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with mustard or cheese sauce.
BONUS RECIPE: Easy-peasy, cheesy nacho cheese dip
SUGGESTED VIDEOS: Recipes and DIY
MORE WAYS TO GET 9NEWS
Subscribe to our daily 9NEWSLETTER
Download the 9NEWS APP
Google Play: http://on9news.tv/1lWnC5n
HOW TO ADD THE 9NEWS APP TO YOUR STREAMING DEVICE
ROKU: add the channel from the ROKU store or by searching for KUSA.
For both Apple TV and Fire TV, search for "9news" to find the free app to add to your account. Another option for Fire TV is to have the app delivered directly to your Fire TV through Amazon.